Welcome to the world of food vs family

Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Christmas Casserole




This recipe is one big memory in a casserole dish. For as long as i can remember, the aroma of this egg casserole filled many Christmas mornings at my house growing up. I remember my mother cooking this dish in her pink sponge painted stoneware dish and can still see her making her way through all the wrapping paper and box trash galore in her night-gown and slippers to serve our family the mandatory breakfast. Christmas wasn't the same unless this was being served in between the stocking opening and cookie munching our family did. I have carried on this tradition with my own little plus 4 with hopes that they will remember me like i so dearly remember my mother on special days.

Whatcha need:

16 slices of bread- I remove the crust because my little ones prefer it that way
lots of butter
9 eggs
Dash of cream or milk
4 cups of cheddar cheese
salt & pepper
Cooked Breakfast meat (bacon or crumbled sausage- optional)


How ya make it:

1) Butter both sides of each slice of bread & cut into bite size pieces then place in
    lightly greased casserole dish

2) Now in a medium bowl, crack all your eggs, add your cream, salt & pepper and beat  (like your making scrambled eggs)


3) Pour egg mixture over bread

4) Add cheddar cheese and stir gently (this is where you would add your meat if you choose)

5) Pop that bad boy in the oven at 375 for about 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and eggs have cooked

I hope this dish brings as much comfort to your home as it has mine

No comments:

Post a Comment